The Planning Commission consists of four board members that are elected by the mayor. These members, provide information, guidance, and direction on land use issues and regulations.
Providing quality public service and creating a safe, functional, and attractive city through coordinated community visioning, comprehensive planning, mapping, and development review.
- Future Planning and Capital Planning: Creating, updating, and maintaining a comprehensive plan and capital plan to guide development and capital investments to create a safe, functional, and attractive community that meets the needs of all residents.
- Current Planning and Development Review: Guiding current development with the use of zoning and subdivision codes as implementation tools for achieving the goals of the comprehensive plan.
- Historic Preservation: Creating and maintaining a series of historic preservation initiatives with the guidance of the Historic Preservation Commission in order to preserve and emphasize the community’s history in accordance with the goals of the comprehensive plan, the City’s ordinances, and the Alaska Office of History and Archeology.
- Housing and Community Development: Assisting in the implementation of comprehensive plan goals by providing technical assistance for projects promoting quality of life, housing, and other goals of the comprehensive plan.
- Land Management: Providing technical assistance for the management of land under the ownership of the City or needed for City projects through the leasing of City property and the acquisition of easements and property interests for the advancement of City projects.
- Mapping and GIS: Creating, updating, and maintaining an advanced geospatial data management system for the purpose of advancing the City’s management of physical assets, planning for future infrastructure upgrades, and other map making needs.
- Department Administration and Communications: Supporting the function of the Planning Department through an organized approach to data and file management, management of the departmental budget, and coordinated community outreach and communications.